Two days ago, the Kukshi area in Dhar district, Madhya Pradesh, suddenly turned into a battlefield. Villagers attacked the administration and police team that had come to survey a proposed limestone mine for Rajasthan’s Shri Cement company. Despite forces from nine police stations being deployed, the situation quickly went out of control. The tehsildar’s vehicle was surrounded and nearly overturned, stones were thrown at vehicles, glass shattered, and in the chaos, the survey team had to flee, leaving the drilling machines behind. The next day, Bhaskar visited Khedli village. Villagers said the administration had assured them that nothing would happen, yet the machines had been sent for the survey. People thought the survey team had arrived As soon as our vehicle stopped, some women and youths approached cautiously. Fear was evident on their faces. They initially thought the survey team had come again. When they were told we were from Bhaskar and had come to report on the incident, the atmosphere eased slightly. As the conversation began, villagers immediately asked: “A month ago, the Collector said nothing would be done without our consent. Then why were police and machines sent?” When Bhaskar’s team arrived, drilling machines were parked near the fields, though some parts had been removed. Police barricades lay scattered along the roadside. Broken glass on the ground reflected the intensity of the previous day’s anger. From behind houses, villagers were watching us. Some stood behind trees. Silence dominated the atmosphere, but unease was evident. Know… what breach of promise the villagers are talking about Raviraj Baghel of JAS explained that one month prior, on January 13, Collector Priyank Mishra had visited Mogra village. He had discussed with affected villagers and said they were not against development, but did not want destructive projects that could desecrate tribal graves. The Collector reportedly said: “Your concerns are absolutely right. I myself think a lot about these matters. Development is important. I have consulted the largest number of panchayats and sarpanches, and most have requested roads and culverts be built. People, children, and pregnant women should be able to travel easily. Bridges and roads will require cement, made in factories. I do not care which company produces it. Resources essential for the nation will be extracted from somewhere. This is all for development. We will clarify any doubts you have before proceeding. No work will happen without consent.” Why did the anger of tribals flare up again? At the root of the dispute are 1,728 hectares of land and roughly 35–40 villages. The Mining Department leased the land to Shri Cement Company for three years starting March 11, 2025. Villagers allege the administration acted in a ‘dictatorial’ manner, bypassing the Gram Sabha. Sarpanch Union’s allegation – Government wants to conduct survey by spreading fear Vijay Singh Rawat, president of the Kukshi Sarpanch Association, told Bhaskar: “The administration acted deceitfully. They did not inform the Gram Panchayat or Patels. Suddenly, they sent forces from 9–10 police stations to intimidate the villagers. The Collector promised no work would proceed without consent—so why was this assurance broken?” Engineer said – You have no rights Villager Ankit Baghel described a heated debate: “We only asked how they could enter our fields without Gram Sabha permission. Engineers and officials responded rudely, saying we have no rights.” Elderly said – It’s ancestral land, will die but won’t leave it Sardar Singh Solanki’s eyes reflected the fear of losing family land. He said: “This is our ancestral land. The Collector gave us false assurances and secretly brought machines into Khedli. If villages are destroyed in the name of development, where will we take our children and cattle? We do not want destructive development.” Village discussion – Don’t give shelter to Rajasthan company Residents also expressed anger towards Shri Cement employees. Ashwin Baghel of Talawadi village urged the community not to shelter any employees attempting to harm their villages. Villagers warned that the administration would bear full responsibility if anything happened while they defended their land. JAYS Warning – Development that digs graves of tribals Raviraj Baghel, JAS state executive president, directly criticized the administration: “This is a clear violation of the Fifth Schedule and PESA Act.” These questions need to be answered Big Question – What Next? Post navigation Smart meter rollout brings ₹692 crore profit:Despite protests and complaints, maximum coverage in Narsinghpur and Bhopal 34 lakh voters removed in MP:Constituency balance changes; minister Krishna Gaur’s area worst hit