no-pakistan-players-in-‘the-hundred’-2026?:ipl-owned-franchises-unlikely-to-consider-pak-cricketers-in-auction;-tournament-begins-on-july-21

As the next season of The Hundred approaches, uncertainty surrounds the participation of Pakistan cricketers in the tournament. Reports suggest that franchises owned by Indian Premier League (IPL) teams may not consider Pakistan players in the upcoming player auction scheduled for next month. The Hundred will run from July 21 to August 16 and is expected to see a major increase in player salaries after new private investments in the tournament. However, despite the financial boost, Pakistan players may not benefit due to ongoing diplomatic tensions between India and Pakistan. Since 2009, IPL franchises have not signed Pakistan cricketers, and this pattern appears to be continuing in other leagues where IPL-linked ownership is involved. As the auction approaches, it remains to be seen whether Pakistan players will find opportunities in teams not connected to IPL ownership. IPL-owned franchises unlikely to consider Pak cricketers in The Hundred 2026 According to a BBC report, “A senior official from the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) indicated to an agent that interest in his Pakistan players would be limited to sides not linked to the IPL.” Also read: India’s fielding worse than Namibia, Abhishek Sharma’s hat-trick of ducks: 5 challenges Men in Blue must overcome before Super 8 showdowns The Hundred features eight teams, including Manchester Super Giants, MI London, Southern Brave and Sunrisers Leeds. These four teams are either fully or partly owned by companies that also own IPL franchises. The report further stated, “Another agent described the situation as an unwritten rule across T20 leagues with Indian investment.” This has raised concerns about equal opportunities for players from Pakistan in leagues connected to IPL ownership. Also read: India to face South Africa on Feb 22 in Ahmedabad: 3 double headers in 12 matches; Super-8 complete schedule revealed ECB responds, stresses inclusivity Last year, ECB chief executive Richard Gould reportedly said he expected players from all nations to be eligible for selection across all teams in The Hundred. He also highlighted that clear anti-discrimination policies were in place to ensure fairness. The BBC report mentioned that franchise owners were approached for comment but none responded. An ECB spokesperson said, “The Hundred welcomes men s and women s players from all over the world and we would expect the eight teams to reflect that.” The spokesperson added, “Almost 1,000 cricketers from 18 nations have registered for The Hundred auction, with representation on the longlist of over 50 players respectively from Australia, South Africa, New Zealand, Pakistan and West Indies.” Also read: West Indies dominate India in T20 WC history: Men in Blue defeated SA in 2024 final; can IND retain 100% win record against Zimbabwe? Previous participation of Pak players and wider impact Last season, Imad Wasim played for Northern Superchargers, which has now been renamed Sunrisers Leeds. Several other Pakistan stars such as Mohammad Amir, Shaheen Shah Afridi, Shadab Khan and Haris Rauf have previously featured in The Hundred. However, no Pakistan woman cricketer has taken part in the competition so far. The situation is not limited to The Hundred. Since its launch in 2023, no Pakistan cricketer has played in SA20, where all six teams are owned by IPL-linked groups. Similarly, in the UAE’s ILT20, franchises connected to MI London and Southern Brave have not signed any Pakistan players in four seasons. Tom Moffat, chief executive of the World Cricketers Association, said, “Every player should have the right to fair and equal opportunity.” He added, “While employers have autonomy in recruitment, those decisions should always align with principles of fairness, equality and respect.”