‘icc-should-take-legal-actions-against-pakistan’:sunil-gavaskar’s-blunt-message-to-icc-over-pak’s-boycott;-says,-‘last-minute-withdraw-is-an-issue’

The Pakistan government has decided that its national cricket team will participate in the T20 World Cup 2026 but will boycott its scheduled match against India. The decision was announced on Sunday, just weeks before the start of the tournament. After the bold decision, Sunil Gavaskar sends a blunt message to the ICC against Pakistan. He said, ‘ICC should take legal actions’. Pakistan were set to face the Suryakumar Yadav-led Indian team on February 15 in Colombo. However, the government has now made it clear that while Pakistan will take part in the World Cup, it will not play against India. This move comes in the aftermath of the International Cricket Council’s (ICC) verdict on the Bangladesh issue, which has caused tension among some cricket boards ahead of the marquee event. Sunil Gavaskar calls for ICC action against Pakistan Reacting strongly to Pakistan’s decision, former India captain Sunil Gavaskar said that the ICC must step in to ensure such incidents do not happen in the future. Also read: Pakistan risk ICC ban if they boycott match against India: Pak may get eliminated from group stage, loss of ₹200 crore in revenue “Definitely, I think if you withdraw at the last moment, that is an issue. If you withdraw earlier on, that’s another matter altogether. But if you withdraw at the last moment, on the eve of the tournament, then yes, I think certainly the ICC should come in and take some action,” Gavaskar told India Today. He further added, “I don’t know what action they will take, but I think there are so many other boards involved, so it’s not just going to be one person’s decision. However, it should be something that ensures no other team in the future also considers doing that.” Also read: Pakistan will boycott match against India in T20 World Cup: ICC issues response saying it ‘expects PCB to explore a mutually acceptable resolution’ Gavaskar also suggested that legal steps could be taken by the world governing body. Gavaskar concluded, “The ICC will probably take legal action against Pakistan over the refusal to play against India, but what the result of such an action would be, I can’t say. It is certain that the ICC would be extremely displeased with this decision of Pakistan government.” Background: Bangladesh Issue and ICC Decision The controversy began when Bangladesh requested that their T20 World Cup matches be shifted out of India following Mustafizur Rahman’s exit from the Indian Premier League. Pakistan supported Bangladesh’s request. However, the ICC rejected the proposal. Following this, Bangladesh were replaced by Scotland in the tournament. A week after this decision, Pakistan announced its refusal to play against India, citing its support for Bangladesh. The ICC has not yet announced any official action but has asked the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) to reconsider its stance. Also read: Yuvraj Singh’s heated argument with Andrew Flintoff in 2007: Bangladesh’s refusal to play in India – 5 controversies in T20 World Cup history Group A situation and timing of decision Pakistan have been placed in Group A of the T20 World Cup 2026 along with India, Namibia, USA and the Netherlands. Boycotting a group-stage match could have serious sporting and disciplinary consequences for the team. Interestingly, Pakistan’s decision was announced on the same day their Under-19 team was playing India in a crucial Super Six match at the U19 World Cup 2026 in Bulawayo. In that match, India U19 defeated Pakistan U19 by 58 runs, knocking them out of the tournament and booking a semi-final clash with Afghanistan U19.