another-death-in-bhagirathpura,-toll-rises-to-29:indore-hc-reviews-report-of-23-deaths,-16-confirmed;-court-calls-report-merely-an-eye-wash

Another death was reported in Bhagirathpura, Indore, on Tuesday. Khubchand, 63, son of Gannudas, who lived behind the Kori Samaj Dharamshala, died after suffering from vomiting and diarrhoea for the past 15 days. Family members said he was first taken to the Bhagirathpura Primary Health Centre, where he was given medication. On Tuesday morning, when his condition worsened again, he was taken back to the centre and given medicines once more. After returning home, he vomited again in the evening and passed away. Khubchand worked in a mill and was also a former wrestler who had won several wrestling competitions. HC hears PILs on deaths Public interest litigations related to the deaths were heard for over two and a half hours at the Indore Bench of the Madhya Pradesh High Court on Tuesday (27 January). Chief Secretary Anurag Jain joined the hearing virtually for about 10 minutes. During the hearing, a report citing 23 deaths was placed before the court. Of these, 16 deaths were attributed to contaminated water, four were described as inconclusive, and three were stated to be unrelated to water contamination. Court questions death audit report The court was informed that water supply has been restored in 30 per cent of Bhagirathpura, which spans 9.5 km. However, the division bench of Justice Vijay Kumar Shukla and Justice Alok Awasthi raised serious concerns about the credibility of the report. The bench objected to the use of the term “verbal autopsy” in the report and asked whether it was a recognised medical term or one coined by the authorities. The court noted that causes of death were not clearly recorded and that the report lacked proper reasoning and supporting evidence. The High Court directed the authorities to submit more concrete, reliable, and authentic documents to establish the report’s credibility. The bench also expressed concern about the nature of interim relief and questioned how the committee would ensure impartial and effective implementation of its recommendations. Report termed an ‘Eye-wash’ After the hearing, the High Court described the report as vague and merely an “eye-wash”. Justice Vijay Kumar Shukla directed the Municipal Corporation to seriously consider the tests suggested by the senior advocate and to provide clear and precise answers to all concerns raised by the court. The bench also took suo motu cognisance of sanitation and drinking water arrangements within the court premises and instructed the authorities to ensure the supply of clean and safe water. Deaths linked to contaminated water not reflected clearly Senior advocate Ajay Bagadia argued that although the Death Audit Report attributed 16 deaths to contaminated water, the remarks column failed to mention whether these deaths were due to the current outbreak or other causes. He said this created a misleading impression. Corporation says, ’16 Borewells shut’ The Municipal Corporation stated in its report that 16 borewells supplying dirty water had been shut down. The petitioner questioned why these borewells had not been sealed. The corporation responded that sealing them would restrict water use for non-drinking purposes and claimed residents were being informed through pamphlets and posters. The petitioner countered that most residents were illiterate and would not understand written notices. Pipeline work and water testing disputed The government advocate informed the court that a new tender had been issued and a 9.5 km pipeline laid. The petitioner pointed out that a tender issued in February 2023 claimed 80 per cent of the work was completed by January 2026, with the remaining work to be finished within a month. He questioned how contaminated water reached residents if the work had been completed. The petitioner also criticised water testing, stating it was conducted on only eight parameters. He cited a 2018 Madhya Pradesh Pollution Control Board report, which tested Indore’s water on 34 parameters and found faecal contamination. With 28 deaths reported, he questioned the limited testing and lack of clarity on testing methods. Three internationally recognised testing methods were suggested. Compensation and previous hearings The petitioner alleged misinformation regarding compensation, stating the ₹2 lakh paid to families was provided by the Red Cross Society, not the government. He argued that while the government pays ₹4 lakh in other accidental deaths, victims of contaminated water were being neglected. The court reserved its order after the hearing. In the previous hearing on 20 January, no definitive conclusion was reached. The government cited a police outpost toilet as a contamination source, which the court questioned. So far, 28 deaths have been reported in Bhagirathpura. The cause of many remains disputed, with families continuing to allege contaminated water as the reason.